The CDC recently released new developmental milestone markers for children. This new guidance sadly shows that our children have been developmentally delayed and emotionally hindered during the pandemic. Young children are taking longer to get to their first steps, to smile for the first time, and to wave goodbye. All of our lives have been interrupted in the last two years, but the fallout is showing up in our children.
New Developmental Milestones
Your children have likely experienced some level of isolation during this time. That might be less time with peers, not playing sports, or simply “social distancing.” Your children have experienced life in a way that it has never been experienced before. One day they were in school and the next day they were not. One day they were attending church and the next day they were not. Even homeschoolers saw changes to their schedules even if only in simple things such as shopping habits. These new CDC guidelines for developmental milestones show that our children have been harmed through these changes.
What Can I Do?
Our children are on the losing end right now. What should you do? Flood your school board? Run for an elected office? Maybe, if God’s calling you to do those types of things. The first thing you need to do is pray and ask the Lord to show you what He wants you personally to do.
How to Equip Your Children
What I do know is that God does want you to equip your kids for this season. Are you talking to them about what’s going on in the world around them? In addition to teaching right and wrong, you must teach them how to navigate that in society. As parents, we have to help our kids catch up and go beyond that to excelling in life.
These new developmental milestones guidelines show that your children need you to engage with them on a cognitive level.
- Show youf full facial expressions.
- Look them in the eye.
- Talk with them.
- Sit down on the floor and play with them.
- Get outside to play with them.
- Let them hear your laughter.
- Get in the kitchen to cook together.
- Praise them for who they are, not what they do.
Tech is Neutral
I have a strong belief that technology is neutral, but sadly our children are being lured into spending countless hours watching others instead of being creators. Children are born creative and adventurous explorers. It’s time to turn off the devices. Be together. Play together.
Give your child a vision for what life could look like for them. Your child doesn’t have to be a casualty of this experiment or remain a statistic. The goal is always to empower your children! We want them to discover who they are and where they belong. They need to know that they fit in your family and that their value and worth come from God. What will you do today to empower your kids and help them reach developmental milestones?
References and Links
The following may contain affiliate links.
- See the CDC Developmental Milestones
- Bonus: Adjusting to Change with Connie Albers
- Raising Kids Amid Cultural Chaos – ETB #36
- Biblical Citizenship in Modern America with Rick Green – ETB #56
- Don’t Let School Drive Out Your Child’s Creativity with Dr. Ai Addyson-Zhang Part II – ETB #58
- 3 Ways to Create Memorable Moments for Your Children – ETB #77
- How to Create a Positive Digital Footprint – ETB #81
- How to Fight for Your Family: 3 Tips for Picking Your Battles – ETB #83
- How to Be the Parent Your Child Needs – ETB #94
- See Through the Lens of Your Child: Creating Your Unique Parenting Style – ETB #99
How to Connect with Connie
Subscribe to Equipped To Be
If you find this podcast helpful, please subscribe and leave a review. It’s a great way to support the show and only takes a few seconds.
Have a Question or Request to Speak for Connie?
Want to contact Connie with a question? Want Connie to speak at your event? Contact Connie here.